Friday, September 2, 2011

September 2nd - Open Mat (The Battle Rages On)

I was able to make it to the dojo by 5 after a long day (actually a rather long week).  Seemed like a full house when I got there.  There weren't any free partners at the time so I stretched and warmed up as best I could.  I've been fighting a sore back so I did need some extra stretching.  I watched David vs Bauer and Ray vs Jerad.  When David and Bauer quit, I was summoned to roll with Bauer. 

We started on the feet and I decided I would try to setup soto makikomi and see if I could pull it off.  I got his hand trapped in my armpit and went for it.  It worked!  I couldn't believe it, I executed the throw and ended up in side control.  Maybe this will be my throw.  I fought for a good side control position and when I got it, I decided to relax and try to work on being heavy.  In the past I've rushed and tried too hard to keep a constant pace at this point and ended up gassing out.

I ended up in mount and then eventually he rolled over and I took his back.  I tried to flatten him out but I couldn't.  I kept a kimura kind of hold on Bauer's arm as I worked for the rear naked choke.  And eventually I got it.  He tapped! 

The second match was a blur.  I tried for a double leg.  It was a failure but we eventually went down and I was in side control.  From there I was rolled over and eventually ended up in closed guard.  Somehow after that I positioned myself to get an armbar from guard.  He made the comment that I felt really strong today.  It felt pretty good to submit somebody for once.  I'm so used to being smashed in side control after having my guard passed and then getting submitted.

As I write this I feel kind of bad.  I don't mean any disrespect to anyone with what I write in this blog.  It's one thing for me to talk about the people that beat me during open mat time, but when I submit someone, I don't want it to seem like I'm bragging or talking shit about my fellow Jiu-Jitsu brothers and sisters.  Today my game was better, but I have no doubt that I could lose to Bauer again.  However, I'll try my damnedest not to. 

I rolled with Ray next and he submitted me 3 or 4 times.  Most of them were a blur as well.  With him, it seems like I never recover once I make a mistake.  He's always improving his position or twisting me up and I never regain a better position.  I was kimuraed once and choked twice I think.

I talked to Ray for a little bit about soto makikomi.  He said that it wasn't a good throw for Jiu-Jitsu, because if done right you end up in back mount.  That makes sense.  I'm going to stick with it for a little while and see if I can't figure out how to prevent my back from being taken.  He did say that the foot position for that throw was better for Jiu-Jitsu though.

David was my final roll partner.  We were just talking about me doing some wrist locks before that.  So I put David in a wrist throw right off the bat and got side control.  From there is went down hill after I attempted a darce choke.  I was eventually on my back and then mounted.  David was crossing his feet under my butt and I couldn't find a way to get out of it.  I tried to get to my side and that led to an arm triangle making me tap.

We talked about that mount that he put me in and I might try it tomorrow when I workout at my school.

3 comments:

  1. nice going, JOsh. maybe a little time off did you some good. i was put in that full mount too, the other day. they must have been working on it or something. I don't think there will be any class on Monday because of the holiday. Darn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jared and David both said they'd be there Monday so i will be there too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'll be at my parent's doing much needed laundry.

    ReplyDelete