Wednesday, September 7, 2011

September 5th - Gi Class (Mount Fuji)

Jared taught class and I had requested that we work on the triangle choke.  We set it up from overhooking their arm and grabbing the gi collar.  I wanted to work on triangles because whenever I'm presented with one it seems like I'm usually stacked and I get passed and put into side control.  I think my major problem is that I'm not breaking them down and controlling their body enough.  Also, my legs are short and I've had some trouble locking it in.  Now with the Teepee in my arsenal I should be able to go to that.

We did some secondary techniques if the triangle didn't work.  Like teepee, kimura, bolt lock, and some sweeps.  We also talked about putting them into no mans land when trying a mounted triangle instead of falling to your back to go to the side and keep them off of their knees.  That was a cool concept that I'm going to use.

We also talked about starting slow with submissions and increasing the pressure incrementally.  Kind of playing a mind game.  Instead of going 100% right from the start and potentially blowing your load, you start and 60% and make the submission tighter and tighter and not going backwards.  This is good to remember as I sometimes get excited when I get something and then go 100% right away.  They weather the storm and I have to eventually let go.  I already knew this but it was a good reminder.

When open mat started Fuji was standing there in front of me so I asked him if he wanted to roll.  I think this might be the first time we've rolled together.  He complained that he wouldn't compare to Bauer, which made me hopeful that I could submit him.  We started from standing and after I failed at a throw I ended up on the bottom.  This is not where I wanted to be.  It was very difficult for me to move and I worked really hard to get out of side control.  I had guard a few times and finally I rolled him over and was able to take side control, knee on belly, and mount.  However, I could not submit him with anything.  I tried for armbars, and arm triangle chokes, but nothing was working.  He eventually rolled me over from mount, and I ended up in side control again.  He had me in a really good americana at one point and even though I wanted to tap I decided to fight out of it and weathered that storm.  In the end I believe he got me with a kimura.  That was tough.  In the future my goal will be at all costs stay out of side control.  Should be my goal anyway.

I rolled with Alec next and as usual we slow rolled.  It's kind of fun because I can play around a bit and try new things.  I eventually got him in the twister this time.

Mike and I rolled next.  There was a point that I had him in an armbar but couldn't get his arms apart.  There are some things I should have done differently but I was afraid to screw it up and decided to strength it.  Wrong move.  He eventually got out.  I don't remember how but he submitted me eventually.

Jared was next and he was trying to get me to reverse him so he could work from the bottom.  I tried a vertical wrist lock instead of reversing him and got him to tap.  Awesome!  However, I'm humbled from my other losses of the night.  Jared soon submitted me with an armbar later on.

1 comment:

  1. you did better against fuji then i did. i tapped from exhaustion. i hate giving up like that.

    ReplyDelete