Wednesday, May 1, 2013

April 30th - Gi (Try Outs)

Yesterday was my first day training at LBJJC (Lincoln Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Center).  Although, I'm not 100% and can't do everything yet I was happy with everything I could do.  The warm-up turned out to be rather difficult for me.  We went up and down the floor with falling, rolling, hip escapes, alligator walk, etc.  It was a combination of trying out my knee and feeling a little out of shape from all of this inactivity.

For the technique portion of class Greg made the comment that the Tuesday class would be about getting everyone up to speed on the blue belt curriculum.  So, very basic but also very informative as there are always little bits of information that you can pick up about the basics.  Jerad was my partner for the training portion of the class.  First we did some fitting in and a few hip throws. 

The next techniques were the armbar and triangle from closed guard.  The part of these techniques that clicked a little more for me was the emphasis that he put on hugging their body with the leg of the foot that is pushing on their hip.  This helps prevent them pulling their arm out and keeps everything much tighter.  I didn't have any problems from guard with either technique but having the technique done to me was a little on comfortable kneeling in guard.  I eventually put my foot on the floor to relieve the pressure.

Everyone else drilled guard passing king of the mat style.  I decided to sit out and watch.  I saw some really great things going on and it made me so jealous to not take part but I'm just happy to be able to attend class.  After king of the mat they did some 6 minute free rolling, for which I sat out of the first round.  However, Jerad #2 had to leave so I was able to roll with Gina lightly during round 2.  That felt pretty good, thanks Gina!

1 comment: