Monday, May 13, 2013

May 11th 2013 - Open Mat (Mike's Advice Corner)

Showed up to find Bauer at the school already Saturday morning.  It's been a quite a while since we rolled together and I was confident that I would tap him out.  I ended up being wrong.  I got stuck on the bottom both times we rolled and couldn't do anything from half guard.  I was using too much strength which was not the thing to do against him.  He ended up submitting me twice with americanas.  It was no big deal to lose but I was surprised that before we started that I had the feeling that I would defeat him easily.  I may have to reassess my attitude.

After that I rolled with Greg, Mike, Jerad, and a couple of visitors.  I was noticeably slow and felt a little fatigued.  I think the strength that I used against Bauer might have had something to do with that; I also haven't been sleeping very well lately.  I got some deep halfguard pointers from Greg and some standing pass pointers from Mike.  Maybe I should have a weekly section called Mike's advice corner or something.

This week on Mike's advice corner we talk about not reaching out for knee pants grips when attempting a standing pass.  Keep your arms in and elbow on your knees then move your body in until you can get your grips.  If you don't you will most likely get caught in spider guard or de la riva or some combination of the two.


No comments:

Post a Comment