Wednesday, May 22, 2013

May 21st 2013 - Gi (Requires Drilling)

Greg had us work on the bullfighter pass last night.  I've been lucking out lately as we've been doing the techniques that I've been wanting to work on, except for that day we did turtle.  Like most guard passing classes we start off with breaking the guard open.  The technique we used was to grab the sleeve and two lapels with a straight arm and then standup.  From there, switch sleeve hands and break the guard by pushing just below their knee.  This is the number one thing I picked up yesterday, instead of grabbing on top of the knee I needed to grab below the knee so there wasn't much play in the pants and I could push on the shin, that made the technique so much easier.
From there we did the bullfighter part.  I'm noticeably better on my right side than my left.  I felt pretty good with my timing of pushing and then moving to the side and slipping in to knee on belly.  Adam and I worked together for most of the day and he really whipped me around with the bullfighter motion.

We did up/down/out guard passing with three groups.  Our only stipulation was to only use standing passes.  I utilized the new guys to their full potential last night as I got to work through some things that I wouldn't have got to try with the more advanced guys.  I was able to use some of the passes from the videos that I've been studying lately as well as a few bullfighter passes.  I was especially impressed with how well the Leandro Lo's face crank pass was working for me.  It's something that I'm going to keep drilling and try to perfect.

These sessions have seemed a lot longer lately than they were at the old dojo.  I felt like a cold was coming on yesterday before class and questioned if I should go in to class or not.  I'm glad I went but as soon as I changed out of my gi all of my powers were lost.  During our after class discussion we got onto the topic of relating Jiu-Jitsu to having a girlfriend/wife, those of you that were there know the punchline. 

No comments:

Post a Comment