Sunday, May 5, 2013

May 4th - Open Mat (Jiu-Jitsu Jealousy)

I am so glad that I went to open mat this morning.  I rolled with Jerad (new guy), Jerad, Mike, Caesar, and Greg.  There were a couple of other guys like Eddie, Ray and Patrick that I never got the chance to roll with.

I felt really good for the most part, but didn't spend too much time on top with anyone.  Mike was very nice by avoiding leg locks on me.  In our third match he dominated me from the top and shared some advice with me after that.  I was spending too much time on my side not doing anything when I was on the bottom.  He suggested that when I attempt to regain guard and don't get it to go back to my back, this would help prevent people from switching sides and taking my back.  It made a lot of sense and something that I hadn't considered or actually thought was wrong.  Cool.

With Greg, I'm still perplexed by the way he can prevent guard with his shin movement.  We talked a bit about it after he submitted me a couple of times and it's something that I'll need to study him doing in the future.  We went over the over/under pass in no-gi a bit too.  We both agreed that it's not the best pass for no-gi as it's difficult to keep their hips under control.

I've been thinking a lot lately about a term I heard not too long ago on Reddit.  I think I have a case of Jiu-Jitsu jealousy.  With all of the classes I've missed and with all of the classes that are offered now that I cannot attend, I'm envious of my fellow classmates that are able to train more than me.  I already felt behind the curve as I've been trying to catch up with the other guys' skill levels.  I know full well that I should make this a personal journey and measure my progress against myself, which I do.  However, there is also a friendly competitive element within BJJ and everyone is trying to get better and help everyone else get better.  Regardless I need to just keep reminding myself I should be thankful that I can train again...period.

2 comments:

  1. why aren't you attending every jiu-jitsu class, josh? do you have a life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for mentioning me cool blog been catching on it hope to see you soon - cesar

    ReplyDelete