Friday, May 24, 2013

May 23rd 2013 - No-Gi

It makes me a little sad when I show up to Jiu-Jitsu while the beginner class is going on and I am not a part of it.  I just have to remind myself that I have a family and I am fortunate to be able to attend as many classes as I do.

Conan and I slow rolled a little before class started.  He was definitely taking it easy on me and just playing guard and messing around with his butterfly hook game that he likes to play.  It was a good way to practice guard passing though so I'm not complaining. 

The theme of the class was the Kimura starting from side control.  Conan, Chris and I took turns getting our arms wrenched.  I had two problems with this technique, the first was that my arms seem too short sometimes and I would often not be able to lock up the figure 4, and the other was stepping the leg over their head when they tried to defend it with their arm. 

We rolled from our knees with 5 minute rounds and switched partners.  I actually transitioned into x-guard against Greg although it was short lived and he passed it easily.  This felt great because Greg likes to use this position himself and previously this position would hurt my knee and I didn't have any pain being there.  I think if I had gotten a hold of his ankle I might have been able to have done something with it.

After class Greg and I discussed some no-gi guard passing and he showed me some options with leg dragging and what to do from the over/under position.  And, I feel even more overwhelmed with the things that I know that I don't know and the things that I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment