Friday, May 17, 2013

May 16th 2013 - No-Gi

Was very excited to make it to class last night.  I have researched guard passing videos for the past two days and wanted to see if I could apply any of the concepts that I learned.  Easier said than done, especially since a lot of what I was studying depends on having a gi, but also because it's difficult to learn things from videos.

Fortuitously Greg taught guard passing as our theme for class.  We did two passes using the same guard break of hands on the biceps, standing up and then fitting the knee into their guard to kneel and then open it up.  From there it was underhook and knee slide.  One pointer that Greg gave me was I needed to put my head down on the floor on the opposite side of my underhook.  Then if they were to block that path we'd go over the other leg and keep the guard open by bringing the knee up.  From there we had 3 different paths of just pulling the leg out, a double knee slide (not sure how to describe it), and windshield wiper.

We rolled to finish off the class.  I trained with Adam, Jordan, Mike, and Greg.  I had fun with everyone, except Adam crushed me a bit and kept me in side control/north south for quite a while.  Mike also gave me a lot of trouble as we spent most of the time in his guard and nothing that I tried worked.  I did change a few things though which I think helped.  I made sure to connect my elbows and knees a little more to prevent an arm getting isolated.  Mike said that I need to get in close if I'm going to pass his guard.  I was able to get to deep half on Greg but not do anything with it, other than that he mounted me the rest of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment