Sunday, May 11, 2014

May 10th 2014 - Open Mat

Felt pretty good today.  It also served as a good reminder that I still have a lot to learn.  Almost everyone I rolled with kicked my ass today although, I did have my moments.   

Jerad: I spent way too much time in quarter guard with him.  I seem to go through this cycle with a lot of people, especially Jerad, he'll be in my open guard and he'll go for a low knee cut pass and I'll catch his foot in quarter guard.  From here I fight for the underhook but all is lost if I can't get it.  Otherwise I go for turtle.  Jerad shuts it down usually so I think I need to find a new plan.  He submitted me twice (Bow and Arrow, Armbar) although I did put him in trouble with a mounted guillotine but I couldn't connect my hands to finish it.

Chris: I felt pretty good about my performance with him although he caught me.  One thing that I learned was that I usually lose the turtle position is due to my shoulder getting pinned to the ground.  I really need to focus on preventing that.  I did have a couple of other good escapes from kesa getame.

Henry: I felt better than previously with Henry as well.  I got him stuck in an inverted no arm triangle for a little while and was attempting a kimura but he eventually got out of it.  He did say that he was very uncomfortable and considered tapping.  I was pretty impressed with how much he can move his hips when his upper body is pinned.  It makes it very difficult to control him cause he can almost always make it to his knees.  He caught me with a baseball bat choke again.  I'm pretty impressed with his progress on that.

Mike: Had a few good rolls together.  He has an interesting knee on belly that I have a difficult time with.  I got to play some deep half and was a little quicker to start affecting balance rather than settle into position.  I was able to escape his guard once after escaping a triangle attempt that I probably shouldn't of.   There was a point in deep half that I got focused on attempting the waiter sweep when we both decided I should have gone for x-guard because of his leg position but I had tunnel vision for that one sweep.

Pedro: Since I am so much bigger than him, I did my best to stay light and keep it playful.  He did well considering.

Greg: Stayed a little later to get some time with Greg.  I feel like I did a pretty good job and there were a couple of good almosts.  Almost passing his guard but putting him into turtle instead.  A couple times I ended up in reverse half guard as well, which feels like I have some control but I usually cannot make anything out of it.  On our second roll he gave me some advice on hook sweep as I was letting my knee cross to the other side too often.  He submitted me with a couple of armbars.  The second one being because I had too deep of an underhook and I should have known better.

After class Greg through out the suggestion that we should send a group to PanAms next year.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that but would like to look into it more.  Really, how good I'm going to get while getting ready for it is a lot more exciting to me than the actual competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment