Friday, May 9, 2014

May 9th 2014 - Gi

Theme & Techniques: Seoi Nage, Double Ankle Grab Sweep, Butterfly Hook Sweep

Felt great this morning to be in class.  We had a class of 6 this week.  I partnered up with Brian (Sweeney Todd) for the technique portion of the class.  Without thinking about it I gave a little bit of resistance while working on the sweeps.  Brian made mention of it once when Greg had corrected him a little.  I apologized, but he said it was good as it was just the right amount of resistance. 

I remember back to drilling techniques with Mike (tumbleweed) the first few times at SRSBK.  It felt so much more dynamic than I was used to, in that although we were working on a particular technique, he was actively resisting and making me do it correctly.  Of course, it would get out of hand every now and again and turn into almost rolling.  Ever since then I've tried to drill that way depending on my partners skill level and comfort with the technique.

Rolling: Closed Guard (4 x 2 min rnds), Butterfly Guard (2 x 2 min rnds), Free Rolling

I had a lot of fun rolling, as usual.  I didn't feel too inhibited and feel fortunate to be injury free.  I really wanted to work on deep half today but didn't feel like I had any good avenues to half guard.  Instead I mostly worked 2 on 1 from the closed guard and then the hook sweep from butterfly.  From the top I broke the guard from standing mostly either using the armpit grip or the normal way then it was either double under pass, knee slide, or bull fighter.  I rolled with Ross after class and had a good time.  I should have probably picked something to focus on, but I mostly went with the flow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment