Tuesday, May 6, 2014

May 6th 2014 - Gi

Theme & Techniques: Seoi Nage, Double Ankle Grab Sweep, Butterfly Hook Sweep

Great to be back.  I was very motivated during the warm-up and felt like I had a lot of energy.  However the warm-up did turn out to be more strenuous than I recall.  I worked with Greg on the throw and then partnered up with Robert and Tim for the other techniques.  Sam made a rare appearance on a Tuesday afternoon and worked with Bhuvana.

The double ankle grab sweep was the same technique the kids worked on last week and they really enjoyed it.  The first time they did it they came home and showed me right away.  With the hook sweep being one of Greg's favorite techniques, I've worked on it countless times.  However, I enjoy watching other students learn it for the first time.  Observing the common beginner obstacles while learning any technique help solidify or act as a reminder of what I already know.  

Rolling: Closed Guard (3 x 2 min rnds), Butterfly Guard (3 x 2 min rnds), Free Rolling

My guard felt pretty good today, but I had some trouble passing Robert's guard.  2 times I thought I was home free, but he was able to get to his knees each time.  Robert, like Henry, have some skills that I am missing in my game.  I'm not sure if it's athleticism, wrestling technique, aggression, relentlessness or probably some combination of them but it is something that seems unique to MMA fighters that I've rolled with. 

I rolled with Tim after class.  I had him start with side control and mount so I could work my way out of a poor position back to guard.  From there my main objective was to setup the 2 on 1 grip and use it for a hook sweep or arm drag.  Tim is getting better at defending, he's making me have to use more tricks to setup my techniques.  From mount I gave him advice to attack more and put me on the defensive and keep me there. 

I've started some diet changes in my quest to shed some weight.  Soda is forbidden, which has always been the toughest thing to give up.  I'm drinking more water and trying to limit my portions at dinner.  I've started tracking my calories through myfitnesspal.com.  Plus I'm doing more swimming and will get back to lifting once my ankle is ready.  Yesterday I weighed 214 and my current goal is 195.  I had some success with this strategy before the 2012 state games but my diet went to shit after injuring my knee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment