Saturday, July 12, 2014

July 11th 2014 - Gi

Theme & Techniques: Double Leg Takedown, Upa Mount escape, Cross collar choke

Worked with Austin during this portion of class.  My toe was bothering me a bit and wasn't cooperating with my double leg shoot.  I did the best I could but don't like having this stupid gout ailment. It's not really a full on attack right now so no need to worry, I can still walk quite normal.  Austin had a few problems with the choke like everyone else, but it didn't take too many corrections to get him to choke me correct. 

Rolling: Mount Position (6 x 2 min), Free Rolling (4 min & Post Class)

Felt pretty good about my mount offense and defense.  A couple of things I'm proud of with Greg, I setup the mounted triangle but he was able to turn on his side and get free and I kept him from submitting me when I was on bottom.  I also partnered with Mike and Dave for the mount position.  My top game usually consists of:
  1. Get a forearm under their elbow and get my hand to the floor then attempt to pry their elbow up over their head. Use the floor and walk with your fingers.
  2. Grab their wrist and attempt a mounted triangle by shoving their one hand down between my legs. I usually finish with an armbar instead of the triangle.
  3. Threaten the Ezekiel choke and when they try to turn in to defend it I'll move to technical mount and work for the back, gift wrap or collar grab for bow and arrow, or armbar.
I free rolled with Dave next and like always he had a great attitude.  He was excited about realizing some things that I was doing and that I was taking it slow.  Pretty much I was just trying to use as less strength as possible and try not to force anything.  With Brian I could tell that the competition classes are doing some good, he hesitated a little less and was always moving during our roll.  He did make a mistake though when trying to escape my side mount by turning his back to get to turtle and I took it.  He did a great job hand fighting and defending the chokes I attempted. 

I rolled with Ross after class and had a great time.  I was revisiting my cross guard today and attempted to swing more into the omoplata.  I've been getting stuck lately half way and that didn't used to happen so not sure if people are wise to it or if I'm getting lazy or what.  After a couple rolls I asked him if there was anything that he wanted to work on and he said he was having trouble with escaping side control.  I said that it's tough and reading the first several months of this blog everyone would see I had a lot of trouble with side control as well.  There is a reason that it's a dominant position.  I'm not sure if that was an effective pep talk for him, but we went over the basic defenses and then I went over the stiff arm escape with him and we repped that for a while.  Just remember straight arm, Straight Arm, STRAIGHT ARM!

No comments:

Post a Comment