Thursday, July 24, 2014

July 23rd 2014 - Gi

Theme & Techniques: Drilling: Guard, Guard Passing, Submissions

I partnered with Adam for the drilling portion.  Greg told us to work our A game with our partner not resisting.  For guard that consists of cross guard to omoplata and the variations that follow, scissor sweep, and some 2 on 1 to pendulum or back take.  Guard passing consists of standing or kneeling break to knee slide, bull fighter, over/under, and smash pass.  Submissions were my favorites: omoplata, bow and arrow, farside armbar, kimura, north/south choke, and many others.  The teammates that will be competing in Chicago had to do 10 burpees each round and I felt a little bad just sitting there and watching them.

Rolling: King of the Mat Guard Positions, Tournament Style Matches

This was a pretty cool idea as if the person on the bottom was able to sweep their first opponent from closed guard, they would then use spider guard with the next opponent.  Followed by butterfly guard and half guard.  I started with Gina in my closed guard and utilized my cross guard to omoplata sweep as gently as I could.  Henry was able to pass my spider guard next but it took a while.  I then had 2 long rolls in Adams guard which both turned out to be half guard battles.  I fought for underhooks and cross faces and did my best to stay out of lock down, but it was so difficult to get out and when I felt like I was close he would turn into me and standup. 

I was paired up with Will for the first match.  I pulled guard and went for cross guard right away.  I was able to sweep but as I was trying to get a good top position he was able to put me into single leg-x and then x-guard and sweep me back.  I got an overhook but wasn't able to do much with it, I felt like I was stuck flat on my back and couldn't get off to the side like I wanted to.  He eventually pulled his arm out and I attempted cross guard again but was too far away and he was able to pass to side control and then submitted me with an armbar.

I volunteered to go again and Greg was my partner.  He beat me to the punch on pulling guard and went to butterfly.  I did my best to keep my base low but he eventually swept me to side control.  He caught me in an omoplata that I was able to escape from and then prevented a back attack.  Finally he setup a farside armbar and I attempted to defend it but I stupidly let go of my grip to attempt to put his leg into half guard. 

I'm not feeling too good about my performance today.  I'm in a bit of a rut and not really progressing right now.  I have an urge to make a change in my training but I'm not sure what it would be.  I had sent Greg a message few weeks ago (below) to which he answered that I am on the right path and just some little changes are the difference to me now and future me.  I just need to trust in this and carry on.  

"When I see high level matches I don't see too much stalling/being stuck in a position. So I'm trying to hypothesize how the later belt version of me may be different and try to work towards that. When you roll with big people you're not going to get by with some of the things that I do that depend on my size/strength so I figure there has to be a more Jiu-Jitsu way of doing things and I'm not cultivating it."

No comments:

Post a Comment