Tuesday, July 8, 2014

July 8th 2014 - Gi (Superhero)

Theme & Techniques: Double Leg Takedown, Upa Mount escape, Cross collar choke

Ended up working with Ben on this portion of class.  While I know the basics of the double leg, it and other takedowns still require a lot of thinking power and I'm still a little hesitant to shoot to a knee at times.  We started out the Upa escape with the opponent on top doing a cross face with the forearm behind the neck.  Then after a several reps Ben and I did some other ways of trapping the arm.  He got a little frustrated with the cross collar and Greg and I both tried to assure him that it takes a while to understand.  He eventually got it a few times after a couple minor adjustments.  The usual stuff of keeping the wrist straight and pulling them into you with a row like motion.

Rolling: Mount Position (6 x 2 min), Free Rolling Post Class

Starting with me on top, Ben did a great job of covering up and keeping his arms in.  He's learned that lesson.  I had a few tricks from the bottom, mostly a good buck and upa attempt that I can turn into a elbow escape if they don't go over to get to half guard.  Otherwise I'm pretty good at getting to quarter guard but that sometimes stalls the roll for a while.

I went with Rob and Will next.  There was really only time for each of us to escape once, as we battled for every inch.  I was very close to getting to deep half at the end of Rob on top and he was able to escape at the end to guard.  I had to really pay attention to my cross face a couple times when I ended up in side control.  I was able to get to half guard with Will from bottom and Will had a nice single-x kind of sweep. 

I was telling Greg after class that I'm very happy that they have been coming to Tuesdays because I'm having to work a lot harder when partnering with them.  I think at times I get a little lazy when I'm the only blue belt in class.  I'm still trying to work on my stuff but I hardly ever feel in danger of being submitted.  It's a very cool feeling, almost like being a super hero at times.  Don't get me wrong it's not a top tier awesome super hero like Spider-Man or the Hulk more like someone way down on the list like Speedball.  I can still kick some butt against a mere mortal.  However, Captain America would easily put me in my place.


Edit: Forgot to add the post class

After class Greg showed Tim and Bhuvana the perils of straightening your arms as a mount defense.  He discussed waiting for the person on top to commit or make a move rather than reaching up and trying to trap an arm.  Then Tim and I rolled which was fun as always.  When I had his back at one point I had to resist the urge to use the bow and arrow choke.  I had reverted back to using it as my goto from the back for a while but I've decided to focus on the RNC again.  He made me work for it and I had to be a little mean to get under his chin.  I am also paying a lot more attention to my head placement which I have neglected in the past; Greg really uses his chin to help keep his victim under control.

1 comment: