Tuesday, July 29, 2014

July 29th 2014 - Gi

Theme & Techniques: Technical Stand-up, Hip Bump Sweep, Kimura from Guard

Had a great class today as usual.  Bhuvana was my partner for the technique portion.  She was doing okay with the technical stand-up, but not really guarding her face or moving so I put a little more pressure on to help her get up and go.  As usual Greg mentioned that it's good practice to make it a habit of standing up this way in daily life.  It's a good feeling when you finally start doing it without thinking about it.

Greg showed me a variation on the kimura for when someone hides their arm and postures up to defend.  It should give the opportunity bring the other leg around their head and gives a lot of leverage to pry their arm into the lock.  I made the comment that you could also do an omoplata from there and Greg said something to the effect of , "yeah, but you wouldn't want to let go of the kimura."  Oh yeah, who would want to do that?  Of course I know he's right, but I just love omoplatas.

Rolling: Up/Down/Out Guard Position, Free Rolling Post Class

Had some good matches in up/down/out.  From the bottom I mostly played cross guard and either went to omoplata or swept from there.  If they were savvy with hand fighting I went to the 2 on 1.  I set up cross guard early on against Ben and then he accidentally moved his body into the direction of the omoplata.  I tried to warn him he didn't want to do that but it was too late.  He asked me to show him how to defend it later. 

From the top it was about hand fighting and standing guard break.  I ended up in half guard a few times with Tim.  The first time I attempted the choke that Jimbo showed me from Saturday and it worked perfectly.  I showed Tim and Greg after class and it seemed like Greg liked it.  I liked it since it worked but more research must be done.  The second time I transitioned to knee slide, but must have had my hips too high because he rolled me over and almost swept me so kudos to him.

I rolled with Tim, Bhuvana, and Anthony after class.  At one point I had back mount on Tim and was working as hard as I could to complete the RNC.  I got under his chin and I thought I was in but as soon as I went to complete the choke he was able to get his chin down again.  Greg showed me later to pry and inch a little more, pry and inch until I can grab the shoulder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment