Friday, July 18, 2014

July 18th 2014 - Gi

Theme & Techniques: Osoto Gari defense for RNC, Basic Back Mount Escape, RNC

 Worked with Anthony this morning as we are of similar size.  I experienced his Judo background today with the first throw as I seemed to meet the ground faster than I'm used to.  I think his ability to time his upper body lean with the reap had a lot to do with it. 

I gave Anthony a few pointers on controlling the underhooked hand and then getting his arm behind the head.  My takeaway from this portion of the class was working more on the prying my forearm up under their chin to sink the choke in deeper.

Rolling: Back Mount Position (6 x 2 min), Free Rolling  (2 x 5 min)

For the first portion I went with Anthony, Will, and Austin.  Felt really good about my escapes and focused on my head position especially.  From the back I wasn't able to get too many chokes but I kept pretty good control of the position. 

I had a hard time with Will's guard during free rolling.  He was doing a great job of tangling me up and almost had me in a triangle at one point.  I think I eventually passed just before time ran out.  I caught Anthony with a north/south choke pretty early and I gave him some pointers on how to defend it.  Near the end of the roll I attempted a butterfly sweep but he was able to kind of hop over it into side control.  After class, Greg gave me some pointers on going more upward and over with my butterfly sweep rather than straight across and getting my knee out of position.  Something to think about.

Dave rolled with me after class and I played some 2 on 1.  I remember telling him to not do a few things and giving him some pointers.  He was pretty surprised when I regained guard off of his knee slide attempt.  I was using Conan's cross bicep method which is starting to come around for me.  I really enjoy rolling after most classes (except Wednesday) so I'm usually game if anyone still has some energy.  You may have to get to me before Tim, Dave, or Bhuvana though.

No comments:

Post a Comment