Tuesday, July 15, 2014

July 15th 2014 - Gi

Theme & Techniques: Osoto Gari defense for RNC, Basic Back Mount Escape, RNC

Worked with Robert today on the technique portion.  We kept a pretty good pace and got in a lot of reps.  We both noticed the importance of the head position to help with the back mount escape.  The biggest nugget of information that I gleamed was when Greg gave us an extra RNC setup.  The idea is to control both of their hands and coax them into bridging and driving their head way back.  That should open up their neck for the choke.  I may play around with this in the near future. 

Rolling: Back Mount Position (6 x 2 min), Free Rolling

Robert was very tough to deal with and we ended up stalemating each other.  Neither of us escaped nor submitted the other.  I attempted a few bow and arrows, but he did a good job grabbing his gi collar to defend.  When I was in his back mount he had me stuck in arm triangle land for a while.  I was able to bring my leg up to grab and defend off the choke.  I couldn't break his grip, but was able to be safe until time ran out.

I was able to escape a couple times against Will, although I was in danger along the way of bow and arrows, armbars, and arm triangles.  I don't think I came close to submitting him but I was able to recover back mount a few times when he attempted to escape, using the harness grip and butterfly hook technique. 

I went with Bhuvana last and was assuming that I'd easily choke her.  She did a great job of defending her neck though and I couldn't get my arm anywhere near the RNC.  However, that opened her up to the armbar though.  After class she requested to work on some things.  I gave her some pointers on the basic side control escape.  Her biggest problem is that she kept sticking her arms out straight to push me away while bridging.  I had her help me attempt a back take from deep half that I saw online and Greg assisted to help figure it out a little bit.  Bhuvana and I rolled a little bit and I stayed pretty relaxed and coached her through some defenses a couple of times.  My main goal was to work on the deep half sweep and I was able to get there a couple times.

No comments:

Post a Comment