Friday, May 20, 2011

Addictive

With the majority of the Jiu-Jitsu classes starting at 4pm, it is a little difficult for me to make it to class.  Luckily my job is being a little flexible in allowing me to come in earlier so I can make it to class.  Of course if a work emergency were to come up I'd have to stay until it was resolved.  I'd go to Jiu-Jitsu everyday if I could but for now my best bet is to go Monday for sure and then try to make it to Thursday and/or Friday and maybe Sunday if my wife lets me.

This past Tuesday and Wednesday I felt like I was going through withdrawal.  I was restless like I had to get on the mat and grapple.  Luckily I workout Wednesday mornings with AJ.  We've been doing Hapkido Mondays and Wednesdays at 6:30 am for several months now.  Since I've started Jiu-Jitsu, I use the first part of our Wednesday workout as a review from Monday Jiu-Jitsu.  This has proven to work really well for both of us.  I can get more reps in on techniques that are fresh in my mind and through teaching it to AJ I also understand it better.  Plus if I run into problems I can bring questions to my next Jiu-Jitsu class.  The great thing about AJ is he is much stronger than me and if I'm not going to get away with overpowering a technique.  I also repeat the same techniques in my Saturday class.

Thursday had a rather large class in Jiu-Jitsu, there were probably 15+.  Conan led class.  I met some students that I hadn't worked with yet.  As usual everyone is helpful and a pleasure to work with.  I wish I was better at remembering names.  We started off the class with falling, which was no problem.  That's one thing Hapkidoists do well.  We also worked on some judo type kuzushi by grabbing the lapels and pushing and pulling until we got our partner off balance.

The rest of the class was centered around half guard escapes mostly using the lock-down.  It was different than the 10th planet lock-down that I have been doing and Conan pointed out the benefits of the differences.

During open mat I spent most of the time with Patrick and I believe he submitted me 3 times.  I met him a couple of years ago and he's improved a lot since then.  I also worked with a Karate brown belt named Dave.  The first thing I noticed about him was how solid he was.  When we clinched up I felt like I was grabbing a tree trunk.  I was still able to work through this and pull some things off but it took some effort.

We bowed out and I'm still not sure what everyone says.  I noticed Ken had showed up and he asked me if I wanted to roll.  It was the same as usual, I get the feeling that I'm accomplishing something and he eventually gets out of it.  One of these days hopefully I'll make that backfire on him, then after that I'll probably be in trouble.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I may not be spelling all of this right, and you'll have to get with me for pronunciation, but the Japanese for bowing in is...

    Senior student says: "Kiotsuke"- come to attention

    "Shomen ni"- face shomen (the front)

    "Rei"- bow (students bow and say nothing)

    "Sensei ni"- face the Sensei

    "Rei"- bow (students bow and say "Dozo onegai shimas"- please help/teach me)

    It's the same at the end, except when bowing to Sensei, the students say "Arigato Goziamas"- thank you for working with me, and then the senior students says: "Otagai ni"- face one another (students face each other in line) The senior student says "Rei" (students bow and say "Arigato goziamas")

    Then the students face the Sensei again, who says "Go kurasan, awara"- thank you for doing what was asked (students bow again to Sensei, and say "Do itashimashita"- You're welcome) We usually tell the new students to just say "Don't touch my mustache" for the last part, because it sounds close enough to the Japanese :)

    Lol, this is probably tmi! Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you may be right, Josh. it could backfire on me. i've been a little too passive in my jiu-jitsu fighting. i'm trying to be a little more aggressive. Watch-out kiddies!

    ReplyDelete