Monday, May 9, 2011

Beat down in open mat

Friday classes are no-gi open mat at the Jiu-Jitsu school.  Basically it is an hour and a half of Jiu-Jitsu mingling. You get there in shorts and a t-shirt or rash guard, stretch on your own, and then when you and another guy are ready, you roll (spar on the ground) to submission.  Then when someone wins you shake hands and/or bow and move on to another fellow grappler.  I got beat several times, almost every time, maybe all but two times.  Out of the guys that I submitted one was a little less experienced and another guy I outweighed by 60 to 80 lbs.

Going against some of the bigger guys just seems like a lesson in survival.  I guess I know enough to realize when I'm in trouble and usually then it's too late.  I really need to work on side mount defense as well as keeping someone in my guard.  I think improving these two aspects will go a long way.

I try to ask as many questions as I can.  Get them to tell me what I'm doing wrong.  Most say that I'm doing good which doesn't really help me.  I got a few pointers and some things a couple of students helped me notice.

Afterwards I don't feel sore like in pain, it's more like a dull kind of tired body feeling all over.  I got up Saturday morning and had my own class with 3 others.  I shared some of the stuff from Monday's class.  I think it's going to be good to keep Saturdays for the time being because I get to solidify some of the things I learn from Jiu-Jitsu during the week and try to explain it and use it on someone else that isn't familiar with it.  Then if I have any problems I can ask the instructor next time I'm in class.

I realized that this is going to be a lot harder than I thought to get good.  All the more reason to see it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment