Saturday, May 14, 2011

Cut

I got to Jiu-Jitsu a half hour late on Friday for open mat.  It seemed like I missed the good stuff because everyone was sweaty and sitting around talking.  I got ready really quick and got out there.  Mostly they were talking about the tournament that would occur the next day.  I rolled with a couple of people got beat a couple times and won a couple of times against a blue belt.  I was really surprised and thought he's just messing with me.  No way I beat him so easily. 

I was also surprised to find out that wristlocks are legal in Jiu-Jitsu stand up as long as they stay away from the fingers.  I'm going to work harder to execute them and maybe get people interested in Hapkido.  Ray was trying to talk me into competing in the tournament but I had to teach class and I wasn't really mentally prepared.  Might have been better that way so I didn't psyche myself out.

I had my Saturday morning class this morning.  Only Mike Catron showed up, but we worked hard nonetheless.  We worked on the chokes that I worked on in Jiu-Jitsu on Monday.  I was even able to get a darce during sparring.  I can really see a differences in my game from just these few classes.  I think the thing that's made me stronger is that I have to fight so much harder for position at Jiu-Jitsu. 

After we ground fought we put the pads on and did some stand-up sparring.  Mike was mostly having the best of me, but I got more relaxed as we sparred and landed a couple of shots.  We were wearing helmets so we could hit to the head and face without as much worry.  I took a punch that turned the mask on my face.  It felt strange.  As soon as I took my helmet off I could see the small but deep cut over my eyebrow.  I pulled the skin apart and it started to bleed a little bit more.  There was a little leather stitch inside the helmet that had scratched me.

Mike patched me up and I ended up having to get stitches at Lincare later on.  Now I have to be careful with it for 3 weeks.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I don't want to stop training.

No comments:

Post a Comment