Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Trying and Failing is Better than Not Trying

I've been reading some Jiu-Jitsu internet forums lately.  Focusing on advice for beginners covering topics like how to take care of your gi or how to get the most out of sparring.  Something that is really starting to sink in, is that our open mat time is not supposed to be a competition.  Meaning my focus should not be on winning or tapping the other guy out it should be more about experimentation and improving my Jiu-Jitsu or helping my partner improve.  This has several implications.

I shouldn't just work from positions or on submissions that I'm good at.  If all I did was work on the things that I already feel comfortable with my game will eventually plateau.  The best advice I read was to always try to incorporate the techniques that we learned in class.

Ask for help.  I already do this but what I read reaffirmed it.  Whenever I get tapped or get swept by surprise I always ask what happened, what I could have done differently, how did you do that, etc.

Tap frequently.  While it's good to know for competition how to stave off a tap and work for that reversal.  It really isn't the best use of my time to defend an armbar to the death by gabble gripping my hands until my opponent wrenches out the technique.  I can probably use my time a lot more wisely by tapping and starting over again. 

Don't play it safe.  This doesn't mean do dangerous moves like flying armbars and triangle slams.  I'm talking about not trying submissions or techniques even though they may fail and I could end up in a worse position.  For example there are times when a triangle choke presents itself from guard but there is always a danger that if I try it my partner will stack me and pass my guard.  The alternative is I just stay in guard and wait for a safer more perfect opportunity at a technique that won't backfire.  The problems with this strategy are plentiful.  Obviously my inaction can give my partner a chance to work his game.  Without attempting those techniques I won't figure out how to set them up better and minimize the chances of getting reversed.  If I do get reversed I can work on my scramble and regaining position.

It is my goal to be a very active Jiu-Jitsu player.  Always going for some type of submission and putting my opponent on the defensive so it makes it more difficult for him to impose his will.

No comments:

Post a Comment