Wednesday, February 15, 2012

February 15th - Morning Open

Even numbers are always good on Wednesday mornings. That way no one is sitting around while everyone else is rolling. Unfortunately no Greg today.

I rolled with Robert first, he was breaking in his new gi this morning for the first time. He was strong as usual. My half guard seemed to be failing me this morning as his new pants just kind of slipped out from in between my legs again and again. We went for quite a while I was able to turtle a couple of times and prevent him from taking my back. Luckily he doesn't know that many gi chokes yet. I think he eventually got me with an americana but I don't remember for sure. The second time we went no-gi and I spent most of the time on the bottom with him except for a time when I had his back. I couldn't make anything happen though which was frustrating. I'll have to ask someone about some options from back with no-gi.

When I rolled with Ken I felt pretty sluggish. I don't remember doing that much offensive this time. He's probably making up for that triangle I almost got him in Monday. He got me in a very strange paper cutter choke with me in bottom half guard. Thinking about it afterwards I should have been able to get out of it but I was so surprised by it that I tapped.

Again with Erik I spent most of the time on the bottom but felt more confident with him. The first time we rolled I attacked a lot from guard and tried trapping his arm. Somehow I worked myself into a triangle position but it wasn't meant to be and he passed into side mount. Later on I was working the cross sleeve grip and underhook that Greg showed us. This worked really well to off balance him and work the omma plata. I tried for a triangle first and when that was defended put my leg around his head. We were stuck for a while but I started straightening his arm and he tapped. I'm really like the cross sleeve grip and I think I'll play with it some more. The second time we rolled I was able to get side mount on him. While working for an armbar I bent his wrist in a gooseneck and he tapped. Probably surprised him with it because it really didn't feel that strong.

Can't wait for tonight, in 5 hours or so I'll be in Omaha finding my seat to watch my first live UFC event.

No comments:

Post a Comment