Friday, February 3, 2012

February 2nd - Gi (King of the Mat)

Got to class early yesterday and David and I did some slow rolling.  I didn't feel like I flowed as much as I could of.  Maybe I was trying to too hard to do certain things.  Greg taught class and the focus was on the butterfly guard sweep.  I worked with David for the entire class and it ended up being a great class.  One thing that was pointed out that I've been missing was scooting my butt back a little bit before I try the sweep.  Whenever I would try this I would just pull people on top of me.  Another thing is how I place my head, I need to have my forehead against their chest and not the top of my head.  We did a couple of counters as well if they try to defend the sweep from a knee pick to sweeping the other way which I had a little trouble with at first.

Instead of open mat we did a drill called king of the mat.  We set up 4 groups of partners and one person tried to pass guard and the other tried to sweep or submit.  Whoever improved stayed and another partner came from the front of the line.  Mike and I started with me on top.  I tried and tried but could not pass his guard.  At the same time he couldn't sweep me.  From what I could see from the other groups we went far longer than anyone else before changing partners.  There were a couple of times I almost had it but he was able to go to turtle.  Then we would go back to guard or half guard.  There is a video of it below as well as me going with Conan a little later on.  I went with several other people as well and didn't win that often.  Everyone was pretty tired at the end of this drill.  Thanks for putting the video together Gina!




No comments:

Post a Comment