Tuesday, February 7, 2012

February 6th - Gi (Raw Fingertips)

Good class yesterday.  Greg had us train in the spider guard.  We didn't do very many different things but it is a difficult position to get accustomed to so more repetitions on the basics is perfect.  We started with getting into the spider guard from closed guard, then the spider guard scissor sweep (kind of like a pendulum sweep motion), then if they prevent the sweep doing like a backward shoalin sweep (very cool).  I was working in a group of 3 with David and Jerad which was cool because we got to watch each other do it and we would switch out partners with each rep.

We then did some drilling with the position with 2 minute sets and the person on top would rotate to the next person.  It turned into a 20 minute exercise with 5 groups rotating and then switching top and bottom.  This position is very tough to maintain, especially with the limited amount of practice that everyone has had.  I almost got one of the sweeps that we worked on I'd say it was close enough I just didn't get all the way up.  In the end my fingertips were raw and they are still a little numb.  It's really difficult to maintain the 40% grip strength that we're supposed to try and do.

During open mat I went with Erik first.  It was a pretty tough battle but I had a little bit of confidence that I could submit him as I have before.  He had me down for a little bit of the time but for the most part I dominated.  He did a good job of keeping my weight off of him and whenever I put too much weight forward he'd try to take me in that direction.  There was one time when I almost had the kimura from north-south but when I started to triangle my legs up he turtled up and I lost it.  Eventually I was in closed guard and it wasn't too difficult to trap his arm and get off to one side.  I could hear Greg saying "Josh go for omma plata" from across the room.  I couldn't tell if he was talking to me or the other Josh because he had been giving him some advice too but I was in the right position so I went for it.  It took a while but I was able to secure his hips and keep him from rolling out of it and worked my way up to the submission and he tapped.

Exhausted I still rolled with Jerad and then Ken.  Jerad got me with an armbar very quickly, while Ken kind of let me take it to his a little bit.  I had him in a bow and arrow from side control and I should have finished it but he wormed his way out of something once again.  He eventually finished me with an arm triangle.

2 comments:

  1. i thought i tapped you with a head-arn triangle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I remember that now. It seems so easy to forget the details the next day.

    ReplyDelete