Tuesday, February 28, 2012

February 27th - Gi

Greg taught last night's class with focus of escaping side control.  We worked a lot on bridging and getting the knee in or bridging and moving to the tripod position.  I could have done without the sore back last night as all of that bridging definitely caused some discomfort.  I worked with Erik for the majority of the class.  I had a couple of problems with the tripod and my head running into his knee.  I think I got this straightened out at the end of class.

We drilled side control with partners and I went with Greg, Adam, Erik and a new guy Devon.  It is so tough to get out of Adam's side control, it's like trying to get a moving side of beef off of me.  Greg has a completely different game and the way that he moves his hips allows him to keep my knee from getting in between us.  I helped Devon out quite a bit, if he sticks around it will be cool to see him improve and learn how to keep a position, he has a great attitude but he doesn't really understand positions yet.

Due to my back I only went with Ken for open mat.  I was all over him and came close with several submissions but Ken wouldn't tap.  I got him in a baseball bat choke, I felt like I had it but he just squirmed his way out of it.  I worked my way to a bow and arrow choke from side mount, I thought it was tight but he squirmed his way out of it.  I took his back and almost had a rear naked choke, I couldn't sink it in though.  At this point I was kind of gassed and as he was pushing into me it was bothering my back a bit.  Eventually I ended up in guard and automatically went for a cross sleeve grip and underhooked his leg and got him in an omma plata.  I wasn't able to hold onto his legs though and he stepped over my head.  Eventually he was sitting on me and the pain was too much and I kind of gave up.  In the end I had him in half guard and he tricked me with a paper cutter choke.  I wasn't concerned because I thought with half guard I could always get out of it.  I found out later that he was just holding on barely and I probably didn't need to tap.

I think Ken has replaced David as my main rival, at least for the time being.

1 comment:

  1. just call me the Squirm King. that's my move, nobody had better take it.

    ReplyDelete