Monday, February 6, 2012

February 5th - No Gi (Look Ma I'm on Youtube)

Due to the mass amounts of snow that we recieved over the weekend I was concerned that no one would show up to Jiu-Jitsu.  But, as usual a little bad weather can't keep us away.  There ended up being a standard Sunday class size with Conan as the instructor.  We did a lot of different things from side control and turtle position.  I've done most of it before except when we messed with the opponent's leg from side control.  I might have to try that sometime.  We ended the class with a series that ends up with the Twister which Conan made a video of after class also starring me.

For open mat I rolled with Adam and it felt pretty good.  There were a couple of instances where I had mount or top quarter guard but couldn't finish anything.  I was able to almost get a guillotine again but settled for rolling into top position.  Now I just have to learn how to keep it while I'm working on a submission.  I almost went for a mounted triangle at one point but he was able to escape through the back door.  He crushed my face a couple of times from mount with a cross face and it was very uncomfortable.  He went for the darce a couple of times and he also did the annoying hand on the jaw to control me.  In the end I think he got bored with me defending and put me in a Americana.  He made the comment that I was doing really well.  It helps to hear these kinds of things but I wish I could finish some submissions. 

After making the below video Jerad and I rolled a little bit.  I got to spend some time on top with him too using the same entry of guillotine to mount. I couldn't figure out anything to do from there though.   There was a point where I almost had his back but it was kind of weird with me having his leg hooked with my legs and then reaching around his back I had control of one of his arms.  We were a little stalemated there and I didn't want to let go for fear of losing it but I had to do something.  In the end he got me with the same americana as Adam.

So I feel good about my performance yesterday but I'm reminded of feeling like crap a few weeks back.  The emotional ups and downs with this are weird.  I just need to ride the wave and not let the down times get to me and maximize on the good times.  Yeah Josh, good luck with that.

Here is the video that Conan made demonstrating a couple of leg locks and the twister on me.  You can tell that it's a very compromising position.




No comments:

Post a Comment