Monday, July 23, 2012

July 20th & 22nd - Open Mat/No-Gi Class

As usual I arrived late to open mat and everyone was already hot and tired. 

I rolled with Jerad first and due to him being exhausted and me being fresh I started out dominating him right away.  I went from knee on belly to mount and was able to trap an arm and move to mounted triangle.  Mike started coaching me from there.  I rolled to my back and locked up the triangle the best I could.  He had his hand in which probably ultimately saved him.  I kept trying to pull his head down and keep him from stacking me but I wasn't able to choke him and he got free.  I learned later that I should have pushed with my leg across his neck more instead of pushing my thighs together.  He stayed on top and eventually submitted me but I can't remember what with.

Fuji and I had two battles, the first one ending very quickly with the same head and arm choke as last Wednesday.  For our second match somehow I was able to take his back and keep it for quite a while.  I wasn't able to do much with it as he wasn't allowing me to get a good choke position and I couldn't get into armbar position either.  Eventually he escaped and I believe he submitted me with a straight arm lock.

My last bout of the night was with James.  I don't remember much from this match either except that it was pretty intense and he submitted me with a heel hook.  I'm glad I was able to make it since I had to skip Thursday night class.  I'm jittery thinking about the state games.

We relocated our class Sunday to the Taekwondo school that I used to teach Hapkido at.  Myself, Claire, and Jerad were in attendance.  We pretty much talked about game plans and worked on some passing the guard.  We then worked on guillotine and a cool transition from a failed north-south choke to a guillotine that I may add to my game. 

We finished the day with guard passing drill and switched partners after someone passed.  I was unable to pass Jerad or prevent him from passing me.  So, I have some work to do. 

I've put my private lessons with Greg onto a cd and I'm going to try to listen to them this week while a work.  Maybe some things will sink in.

1 comment:

  1. Cool! Jiu-Jitsu on tape! you may be onto something, Josh.

    ReplyDelete