Monday, July 30, 2012

July 29th - No Gi (My Aching Knee)

Conan asked us what we wanted to work on today and I stupidly suggested sweeps from half guard.  It is what I want to work on, but I could have picked several other things that would be way more knee friendly.  I probably shouldn't have even gone to class but I was hoping for some insight into what I did right or wrong in my matches yesterday.  My knee is really tight and feels swollen inside.  I've been icing it and stretching as much as it will allow. 

We worked on the lock down, getting the underhook, and then several different sweeps from there.  I wore my knee brace and babied it as much as I could.  I've made sweeps my major area of focus right now so it was very appropriate.

I rolled with Adam very lightly.  He dominated me like usual but I felt much more helpless.  He submitted me a couple of times and I eventually moved on to Jerad.  I fought off my back and did a lot of open guard and de las rivas.  He was right in pointing out that I don't really try for sweeps like I should. 

Now I'm on a quest to figure out the most proficient way to improve.  I'm going to go on a hunt for sweeping videos and insights into how to complete a sweep.  I've got a little time since my knee isn't going to allow me to train for a few days.  Hopefully only a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment