Sunday, July 1, 2012

July 1st - No-Gi

Conan had Carlos go over some wrestling.  We went up and down the floor practicing our shot.  Then got together with partners and worked on single leg with a couple variations.  We finished with sprawling.  Normally I just sprawl with my hips straight but today I observed some of the other guys going to one hip or the other.  I may have to practice this more as it seemed like I was able to roll myself up to standing faster.  Conan had us work on triangle chokes and some plan b techniques if they failed.  We transitioned to kimura, armbar, various wrist locks, and oma plata. 

For open mat I rolled with Mike first.  I must have been off my leg lock defending game because he got me with 2 or 3 of them.  He was doing a really good job of stepping out whenever I went for x-guard which was a little surprising for me.

I went with Claire next but it seemed like we got side tracked a couple of times.  I put her into a couple of bad spots and I submitted her a couple of times and then we'd work on the defenses for those things.  Will came over and helped her with defending the anaconda choke and we quit rolling after that.

I went over to Carlos and Mike to see if I could get one more in before we had to quit.  Carlos and I had a pretty good match.  It was good to see my improvement against someone that I hadn't rolled with for almost a year.  Before it seemed like he would easily get me in back mount and choke me out or control me with wrestling.  But, today I was able to at least play the game I wanted to play.  I never finished any submissions but I came semi-close with a north-south choke. I was able to pass his guard a couple of times and sweep him from deep half.  However, he did a good job getting the underhook from half guard and getting back to his knees.  Mike and I talked about what to do after I lose the underhook.  My usual response is to try to hold them down, when I should be trying to regain the underhook or switching sides or cross facing.

No comments:

Post a Comment