Wednesday, June 27, 2012

June 27th - Morning Open

I was getting a little worried this morning as I was the only one there for the first 10 minutes.  Luckily Ken showed up after work and then around the same time, Claire.  I rolled with both of them repeatedly and after this morning feel even more confident in my X and deep half guards. 

It seemed like we pushed mount defense on Claire.  I tried to coach her the best I could but I have trouble getting out of Ken's mount too so most of my advice probably didn't help that much.  We also talked about defending armbars and then went over some cutter techniques.

For my battles with Ken there were very few times that either of us had a dominant position.  I was regaining half guard pretty consistently whenever he'd pass and then I'd make it to deep half and get to my knees into a single leg.  I'd get close to passing and he would be able to kick away effectively as I try to hold his hips down.  He submitted me once with a bread cutter kind of choke.  I defended it for a long time, but eventually the horrible wrenching on my neck got to me. 

When I had him in x-guard a couple of times his flexibility really saved him from getting completely swept.  I got him down but wasn't able to automatically pass like I should have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment