Monday, June 18, 2012

June 17th - No-Gi (Feeling Ehh)

Possibly due to Father's day it was a pretty small class yesterday.  In attendance along with myself was Ken, Jerad, and Adam.  Conan asked me what I wanted to work on and I suggested head and arm chokes.  We did a series of different chokes from mostly side mount. 

The Can opener from guard was one of the techniques I had no idea was so awful.  This is where someone grabs your head and then wrenches it to your chest. Even if you have your legs wrapped around them there's not much you can do.  We worked on north/south which I asked about getting rolled over from and everyone pointed out that I kept my legs bent and close together.  We also worked on the paper cutter which I still have a deficiency in.  I just can't seem to get the right pressure and maintain my posture.

I started off with Adam and he brutalized me.  His cross-faces seemed worse than usual and he kept getting me with the same new pass that he had learned at Mid America.  One that I hope to implement myself after I practice it a little more so I won't go into details yet.  Adam pretty much broke my will at every turn

Ken and I had a couple of good battles.  I tried to be more active today.  I was more successful from half guard and deep half with Ken than I have been before.  I was moving a lot but I had a really hard time once Ken got me in mount.  From there he did the dreaded Americana which pissed me off greatly but I kept it inside.  Our second match was more of the same he got me with a beautiful armbar that he went belly down on.

Finally I rolled with Jerad last.  I tried my best to stay active again and there were a couple of times where I normally would have sat or laid down into guard where I got to my knees instead and stayed up.  I need to keep going with that mentality and stop settling for the bad positions. 

So after open mat yesterday I kind of felt a little beat up and just ehh.  It's a good reminder that I have a lot more work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment