Monday, June 11, 2012

June 10th - No-Gi

I'm pretty busy at work today so this will be a short one.

For a little while yesterday I thought I was going to have to teach the entire class.  I started everyone with a warmup and in the end we were doing some side switching from the sprawl/turtle position.  Jerad took over and ran with that and had us do things from the top and bottom of this position.  First we worked on sprawling and some different things to do from there.  Then we worked on chokes (anaconda, darce, guillotine)  from the top position.

I rolled with Jerad for probably 15 to 20 minutes mostly in a defensive posture.  I was on top a couple times but never came close to a submission.  I defended countless darce and north/south chokes and he finally caught me with a kimura. 

I rolled with Steven for the remainder of the class.  I tried my best to give him pointers as we went.  I think when I work with newer people I need to establish some type of goal for the roll.  Like "I'll work for butterfly guard to x-guard" or "I'll work for a back take" this way I can challenge myself to try different things instead of doing what I'm already decent at over and over again.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for not writing "I thought I was going to have to teach the entire class, because Gina was a chicken." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to establish a goal for myself when I roll with more senior belts, but it usually devolves into "pursue ALL the goals!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually Gina, I don't mind teaching so much. I've had a lot of practice teaching Hapkido. I just wish I was as knowledgeable with Jiu-Jitsu as I am with Hapkido.

    Claire, my #1 goal the first 3 months I was here was to get out of side control. It felt like an insurmountable problem at the time.

    ReplyDelete