Tuesday, June 12, 2012

June 11th - Gi

Last nights class was run by Jerad and it was nice that he split us up by experience level.  It looked like the new guys were working on David's bread and butter, the triangle.  We worked on x-guard, which was awesome.

I worked with Fuji for most of the class, he kept complaining about badly his legs hurt.  Then he had the audacity to tickle my feet from the knee bar position and not let me go.  He seemed to get a kick out of it, so I had to punch him in the leg. 

Anyway, we did a few things that I hadn't done from x-guard and Jerad taught a few things different than Greg.  Which is fine to get a different take on things.  I felt kind of bad for mentioning that Greg did something a different way, I know it can be difficult to teach when I perceive that the students already think they know better than me about something.  Jerad didn't react that way and I'm sure that I don't know better than him but it's just one of those things that I do that bugs me.

We did the sweep/pass/submit training next and rotated through several partners doing both top and bottom.  I really feel like my over/under pass is coming together nicely.  I'm able to keep them locked in and if I can get into side control I can keep trying until I do.  Also since the new people had been working on being David clones with the triangle choke many of them tried to pull off the triangle.  Whenever that happened, I'd either be in the over/under pass already or I'd go for the double under pass.  I did have some trouble with Dwight, a new visitor from Lincoln MMA that seems pretty cool.

I rolled with Ken during open mat.  He's recovering from an injury so we kind of took it easy at first.  It was a good roll but I had some trouble getting him off of me once he got to mount.  He ended up armbaring me.

I finished off the night with Jerad.  I felt really good about this battle.  There was even a point where I swept him from x-guard.  I was also doing well with open guard and keeping him from passing although he eventually did a couple of times.  I had this really great reversal from side control too where I must have just caught him at the right moment and was able to roll him off of me.  Alas, in the end he got me locked up in the darce head and arm trap that he loves.  I fought it off for a while but he eventually found the correct angle and I had to tap.

No comments:

Post a Comment