Friday, June 22, 2012

June 22nd - Morning Open 3

A smaller turnout this morning that I thought there would be.  In attendance was myself, Claire, Robert, and Ryan.  We did the normal routine of setting the clock for 5 minute rounds and switching partners during a rest period. 

Claire and I were the first 2 there and I felt like I could roll more seriously with her.  She did a lot better job today of maintaining guard.  After a couple of matches we drilled some back mount and mount escapes.

I started standing with Robert and he schooled me for the most part in wrestling.  I think he tapped me out today but I can't seem to recall how.  My memory from the last several days of open mat is kind of running together.  I think it was an armlock but it could have been a choke too. 

I rolled with Ryan (visitor friend of James) and I felt really smooth.  He has some wrestling experience and is stronger than me but I seemed to transition between open guard to half to deep half then take the back or sweep effortlessly.  I submitted him once with a face crank from back mount.  I guess I could have tried for something different that would have showed more finesse.

When Robert left I worked with Ryan and Claire on some basic guard principles and then went over the flower sweep and the armbar from guard since they have similar motions.  It seemed like I taught it well and Claire even made the comment that I seemed to be getting better at teaching.  In my usual self deprecating fashion I deflected the compliment and said that maybe she was just becoming a better student. 

No comments:

Post a Comment