Wednesday, June 13, 2012

June 13th - Morning Open (Feeling Good)

Had a good session this morning.  We had a few visitors and I think I rolled with everyone.  I felt really good about my skills today.  I think that predominately has something to do with who's there. Ken and Fuji didn't show up which might have changed my perception of the day.

With both Claire and Jake they were doing a good job of getting the knee in between us when in side control.  I was pretty surprised with Jake's progress.  He was doing very well at keeping me from doing the submission that I wanted.  I still kept top position for the most part but I had to be creative to finally get the submissions.  Claire also did well.  She's asking good questions and actively looking for solutions to problems that she frequently comes up against. 

Robert may have been nice to me today because it seemed like I was on the attack for most of our rolls.  At one point he had a single leg grab and I was able to roll over him into a half crucifix.  It didn't really work out in the end because he was able to get out of it and end up on top. 

There were 2 visitors one was (Josh) the wrestling coach from Lincoln MMA and another was a friend of James.  While I couldn't compete with either from a wrestling standpoint I was able to do a lot of good guard work and even sweep them.  I was able to complete a rear naked choke on Josh but he got me later with an americana from half guard.  I kind of felt like that americana shouldn't have happened because of my position, I should have fought it more but I was depending on the position that I had too much.  The other guy always shot in head first and it was pretty easy to put him into a guillotine.  Otherwise he was strong and had a decent base.

I finished the morning off with James.  It was a really good roll with a lot of movement.  He eventually got me into mount and then got a gift wrap and took my back and then finished me with a rear naked choke.  I am really impressed with his control from both mount and back mount.  I'll have to figure out how he does that.

1 comment: