Tuesday, June 5, 2012

June 4th - Gi (Blackout)

Jerad taught a class on side control escapes.  We mostly worked on reversals that would use a lot of bridging and hips to roll them over into side control.  This is something that I rarely do but should probably try more.  I haven't had that much problem escaping side control lately and I usually end up in half guard where I like to be or turtle.

We drilled from side control and switched partners.  I was lucky to start off on the senior side so it wasn't too difficult to maintain side control or escape it.  When Mike came around and took my place I had a hard time dealing with my nemesis, David.  He just sunk down and I couldn't do anything against him. 

For open mat I started out standing with Fuji.  It was really quick after some grip fighting he jerked me down, then took side control and got me in a arm triangle variation.  Very disappointing.

I rolled with Jared next and got hammered.  He pulled guard on me quickly.  After trying to pass a couple of times I screwed it up and got swept.  From there he was back and forth from side control.  He finally got me on my side and got me in a bow and arrow.

Later Brian snuck up on me and put me into back mount.  I defended well and was able to take deep half and then move to back.  From there I tried everything I could to choke him.  I almost had a rear naked for a little bit but couldn't finish it, then I had a bow and arrow but he had my leg trapped underneath him.  He was eventually able to escape and I ended up in his guard.  As I was trying to pass he wrapped his long legs in a triangle with my passing shin inside.  I underestimated that he could finish the triangle from there and he was able to slowly pull me in and readjust.  Finally he had me and squeezed quickly and I had to tap.  Then I had a quick blackout which was very odd.  It took me a little while to recover it was a harder choke than I thought and I don't think the summer heat helped that much either.  Mike and Jerad gave me some pointers later on how I could have defended it and from this day forth I'm going to take triangle defense much more seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment