Friday, June 1, 2012

May 31st - Gi Jiu-Jitsu & Judo

Conan taught a good class yesterday on maintaining the guard and preventing passes.  With each technique he would have Ray start a pass and then show a way to prevent it or recover.  We did defenses against both knee over passes, double unders, smash pass and maybe a few others.  We then worked on the Conan sweep that is like getting into half butterfly and then putting your knee on the other side and then lifting them backwards.  I used to get caught with this all of the time.

For open mat I rolled with Ray.  I felt like my movements, defending, and positions were good.  I transitioned from half guard to full guard then back to half.  Apparently I still have a problem with affecting the leg and the upper body at the same time.  Ray told me later that controlling the leg is much more important than fighting for the underhook, I'm so confused.  Finally he got me into side control and smashed me a bit.  I can't remember what he tapped me out with, maybe an americana?

I rolled with Mike next.  We had quite a battle like usual.  I felt like I was passed his guard for a second but then he quickly regained it.  There were several scrambles and I tried a straight ankle lock but he defended sufficiently.  There were a couple of times I went for the over/under pass which would end up being my demise because he eventually setup a triangle.  I felt like if I put his leg to the floor I could get out of it but he switched it to a bolt lock and finally choked me out.  We had an hour to kill before Judo so Mike and I went and got a sandwich and discussed Jiu-Jitsu and existentialism.

Judo was a very active class.  I was partnered up with Ken for the majority of the class.  We used the blue bands in the beginning and did some individual exercises and went up and down the floor fitting in.  Now that I think about it I don't think we did any actual full throwing.  We did 50 fit ins in a row, which I feel like I did better at than usual.  I was stringing together throws and trips pretty quickly.  We did a guard pulling drill from the knees the second time we rolled into top position as quickly as we could. 

No comments:

Post a Comment