Tuesday, July 10, 2012

July 9th - Gi

Before class Mike and I discussed bullfighter pass a little and he showed me some things.  Jerad started us off with a warmup of shrimping and partner exercises.  Before turning it over to Greg we worked on some mount escape drills.  I had a little trouble with the second one which ended up being a shin sweep.  For some reason my right leg was not cooperating and allowing me to get to the kneeling position. 

When Greg took over we revisited the guard pass from last time with wedging the knee to break the guard.  From there we slid the knee to the same side and brought our other leg up to prevent the opponent from locking in half guard.  That was pretty much the only thing we worked on.

From there we did the position ladder drill.  Ken was my partner and I had a heck of a time holding him down in mount.  He's so difficult to keep down, it's crazy.  We both had our fair share of escapes and our different styles were evident. 

Next we did the king of the mat with guard passing/retention.  I had some good matches with Carlos, Jerad, and Greg but I was not able to pass anyone but came close a couple of times or at least I did some good things.  I was a little successful with the over/under pass, but it was a fight to get there with Greg.  I attempted to do the bullfighter pass with Jerad but wasn't able to pull it off.

I was really out of it after class and really didn't feel like rolling.  No one else really did either.  Ken talked me into working on a few throws.  We did the same throw that we worked on Monday with Ray.  It was a sacrifice shoulder throw that I may add to my arsenal for the State Games.

No comments:

Post a Comment