Sunday, July 8, 2012

July 6th - Open Mat

I had to make it to open mat yesterday after missing two Thursdays in a row.  Work has been a little hectic lately.  I still get there late and have to roll with guys that have been fighting in the heat for an hour already.  Didn't help me that much though.

I started out with Carlos and insisted that we stand up.  He didn't show it at first but he was pretty tired already.  He still took me down rather easily but gave me some compliments on a couple of the things I was doing well with my wrestling.  After a little bit of back and forth I was able to pass his guard he said he was gassed and we quit.

I rolled with Ray 5 or more times next.  He schooled me all over the place.  We started from standing as well and I didn't feel like I could do anything to get him down.  He took me down with a few well timed sacrifice throws.  Towards the end I was trying to pull out every bit of Judo that I know to get him down but he would just step away from everything.  I don't recall all the ways he submitted me and in what order but there were several foot/leg submissions.  There was this one time that I had a glimmer of hope that I might get him into a triangle but it wasn't meant to be. 

One of my major problems was with my takedown.  I'm still not changing levels well enough and diving in with my torso too much instead of dropping to a knee or making them step to me.  So right away when I started with Mike I went straight to my front knee and got the takedown, exept he pulled a flying triangle in the process.  I was able to get out of that and then from their we played our I'm on top trying to pass his guard while he prevents me from passing.  I fell for his leg lock setup from butterfly guard and I stood up to try to prevent it.  He took me down and then started to work on the straight ankle.  I tried my best to hand fight and stop the submission while Ray was yelling at me to go for his foot which was right there in heel hook position.  I turned to go for it and as I did my foot got free and I went for a toe hold and got it before Mike could recapture my foot. 

We talked about passing and takedowns for a little while after that, which inspired me to work on bull fighter pass this morning with Craig.  I was really getting it to work for me and I think I'll make it the next thing to add to drill and add to my game.

No comments:

Post a Comment