Wednesday, August 15, 2012

August 15th - Morning Open (Hiatus)

Well, I guess I'm not invincible.  I thought I could just take it easy and train through this injury and eventually it will be okay.  I am now forced to take some time off.  I injured my other knee today, most likely because I've been over compensating with it.  So I think it is a good idea if I take some time off and try to heal.

Drew and I were the only ones for a little while until Ken showed up.  This was somewhere around Drews 6th class so I took it easy on him and explained things as we went along.  I didn't do so much explaining specific techniques but some concepts like what to do in someone's guard, where to put your arms etc.  I felt pretty smooth and in control when I wanted to be.  The learning curve in Jiu-Jitsu is amazing.

Ken was ready to roll as soon as Drew needed to leave.  Ken and I rolled and I just went to my back and tried to play butterfly.  I didn't attempt to maintain guard too hard and we went from position to position.  He would get me in side control for a while and then I would escape, I'd try to pass his guard and the would figure out how to prevent it.  Then there was one point when I was going for a knee over pass and a pain shot through my left knee.  Something was wrong.  I rolled to my back as he got on top of me I pushed a little bit and there was more pain with my left knee.  I told Ken I was done.  I could barely stand on it. 

Dammit!  A lot of things went through my head about how long I'd have to take off or if I need surgery on both knees, how am I going to get to work today, etc.  I got a couple more knee braces which seem to help with walking.  Now I gimp on both legs.  I had to take the elevator up to my office.  I'm especially dreading not being able to participate in Jiu-Jitsu; what am I going to do with myself?  I'll keep you posted.

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your injuries Josh, and I hope they heal soon. I'll tell you right now that taking time off is going to suck, and I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gina. I'm not looking forward to the lack of activity. I remember when I first started writing my blog and you left me a comment about how reading my blog was driving you crazy because you couldn't train at the time. If you have any good tips to get me through it send them my way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing can take the place of physically doing Jiu-Jitsu, but this might help...

    Courtesy of Stephan Kesting:

    Anything is better than doing nothing. The bottom line is that anything you do to keep your brain actively thinking about BJJ will keep your mental skills sharp.

    Go drop by class and watch your friends spar. Watch some instructional DVDs. Study how a high level player competes by watching youtube. Read a book. Visualize using your favorite techniques. Daydream about new techniques.

    All these things help.

    And finally I have to point out that ALL your mental processes get slower when you're fatigued.

    So work on your brain and your body, and you WILL see the effects of it when you get back to the mat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you can at least keep your upper body in shape with some weight lifting of some sort. hope your not out for too long. get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. are you showing up on Wednesday morning? if not, i won't bother to show up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not planning on coming in. If I did it would just be to open the door and not workout. Did anyone else express interest in coming in on Monday?

    ReplyDelete
  7. no one said anything. i'll stay home. thanks.

    ReplyDelete