Tuesday, August 7, 2012

August 6th - Gi

Knee is still bothering me a little so I skipped out of some of the warmup with butterfly and dragon walk.  Shrimping wasn't too bad. 

Jerad taught Butterfly sweep as the theme of the class which was pretty cool since that's what I've been working on.  I was actually contemplating yesterday if the butterfly sweep that I know is contingent on getting the over under grip.  Which is what we worked through, if they are able to base out with that arm where to go next.  The solution is to attack the base out arm and try to straight armlock it.  If that doesn't work and they bend the arm then they pretty much lock the arm up for you so you can sit up into butterfly again and complete the sweep.  It was a nice little progression.

We did some guard pass training at the end.  Jerad had the crazy idea that the person on the bottom couldn't use their hands.  It was very difficult and I think everyone was able to eventually pass everyone.  Great exercise.  Then we switched to allowing hands.

During open mat I mostly watched.  Jerad and I rolled a couple of times and my main focus besides surviving was looking for sweeps.  I did get into x-guard and was able to sweep once but he pretty much dominated me the rest of the time.  There were several times where I could have gotten to my knees a little quicker or did some other things that my knee didn't like.  I can't wait until I'm back to 100%.

No comments:

Post a Comment