Monday, August 6, 2012

August 5th - No Gi

There was some type of Karate seminar going on yesterday when I arrived at class so we were kicked out of the dojo.  I proposed an alternate location of the Chung Do Kwan Taekwondo school and we took a trip over to 48th and Cornhusker.  It was a small class with Claire, Garrett, Wes (new student), and Conan.

The theme turned out to be a kimura from guard.  We progressed from them putting their hand on the floor to us moving their hand off of our body to the floor.  We also did some variations by not grabbing the triceps and locking it up differently.  My knee was getting pretty sore during the class as sitting in guard causes a lot of pressure on it.  I ended up working with Wes for the instructional portion of the class and he seems like a decent guy.

I rolled with Claire a couple of times during open mat and Conan must have gotten tired watching me arm drag her and he showed her how to defend it.  She caught on right away and took that away from me.  Then she pulled guard on me which was fine.  After controlling her from the top position for a while I had her start on top and she did a good job controlling from side mount.  Once I escaped my goal was to get to x-guard which I accomplished a couple of times.

I rolled with Conan a couple of times and while I did some good things he dominated me fairly well.  At one point I was able to get my legs into armbar/triangle position while trying to regain guard and he made the comment that he got sloppy.  Instead of taking it how he said it, I'll take it as a win for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment