Wednesday, August 22, 2012

August 22nd - Injury Report

A week has come an gone without partaking in Jiu-Jitsu.  It's been a depressing turn of events as I've been playing more video games, sleeping in, and eating more junk food.  I'm kind of looking at it as a break and that I should enjoy it, but I would enjoy getting back to Jiu-Jitsu so much more.  Before my injuries I was getting up early and swimming or doing Jiu-Jitsu as well as attending Jiu-Jitsu classes 4-5 times a week.  After I hurt my right knee I tried to keep it up, but that was a terrible idea.  I didn't think that I would cause the same injury to my other leg.

What's worse is that I went to the Creed concert on Friday (which was awesome) and stood for 4 hours.  Saturday I was pretty much worthless and couldn't get around the house without some kind of support.  Thankfully my wife wasn't too mad at me, or at least didn't show it, and allowed me to stay in bed all day.  I've been wearing a knee brace to work this whole week and using the elevator.  Today the knee brace was bothering me a little so I took it off and I've felt a lot more mobile.  There's still a long road to recovery but there is a little glimmer of hope there.  My right knee has been doing a lot better, there is still some tightness and some loss of range of motion but no pain.  There is still a possibility that I'll need surgery on both or either knee, which I would be willing to do assuming it's better for me in the long run. 

To quell some of my Jiu-Jitsu desires I've ordered the book "Jiu-Jitsu University" by Saulo Ribeiro due to recommendations of my Jiu-Jitsu brethren.  Too bad it won't get here for another 5 days.  I'll probably make some type of book review once I've given it a thorough once over.  I may purchase Andre Galvao's book, "Drill To Win" next as I like the concept of a book that gives you drills for an entire year.  After thumbing through it at Barnes and Noble I picked up a few drills that I can do now while I'm injured.


7 comments:

  1. Also check out "A Fighter's Heart". Interesting--though not specific to any one style.

    Mend well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try "A Fighter's Heart" by Sam Sheridan too. Not style specific--but good.

    Mend well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must really like it to post it twice. Alas, I've read it already. I even liked his second book "A Fighter's Mind" a better. Which I can loan to you the next time I see you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. shame if you have to have the surgery. i couldn't imagine not being able to train for more than a week. good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey man, is this the same knee from my "lockdown" at the tournament? I feel really bad if it was.

    On a positive note, Jiujitsu University is a great book and so is Drill to Win. You can implement the JJU on your own, but you'll need someone to help you with the D2W book by Galvao.

    I hope your knee gets to feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mike, Well technically the leg that I hurt at CSG was my right. My left is now the one that is causing me the most trouble with a similar injury, or at least it fels the same. I don't blame you, it may have been inevitable that I would eventually hurt it since my left one seemed to get hurt so easily for no real reason.

    Hopefully I come back stronger after this and will take a lot better care of my body while training.

    ReplyDelete