Saturday, March 15, 2014

March 14th 2014 - Gi

Theme & Techniques: Half Guard Gordo Sweep, Roll Back

We had the biggest morning class ever.  Conan, Brian (Barber), Brian (Airforce), Mike (new), Ross (Todd), Eddie, Cesar, Parker, Roman and Me.  I think Eddie and Cesar brought Roman and Parker who both looked very young.  I told Conan we should take a picture, but I forgot after class.

Conan used me to demonstrate on as he taught 2 of the escapes as last night.  I ended up working with Roman and Parker.  Parker seemed pretty new to BJJ so he needed a little more help.  Roman seemed excited to work with me and asked me questions about my favorite BJJ guys are and dropped several names of the people he liked.  There really isn't any popular grappler that I don't like.  I've studied Xande, Cyborg, and Marcelo the most.  

Rolling: Half Guard Position Up/Down/Out, Free Rolling (3 x 5 min)

Didn't have too many problems in up/down/out.  I don't like starting in half guard that much because I don't feel getting to full guard is a good enough reason to stop, but what else are you going to do to work this particular position.

During rolling, I played a little spider guard and then it was mostly knee cut pass and then working in side control.  Eddie called me out right away, I think to get me while he felt fresh.  He had me worried at one point when he secured a tight inverted triangle.  I had to use knee on belly to get free.  I also rolled with Parker who is pretty inexperienced, so after a while I went over bullfighter pass with him for a good portion of the roll.  Ross was last and he's getting better.  I'm not sure if I submitted him today.

I rolled with Roman no gi after and I was pleasantly surprised by his skill level.  He was great at recovering guard.  I played a lot of guard which it didn't seem like he was used to since he's the smallest guy at his gym.  I had to keep very tight on him because every time I allowed any space he would fit his knee in.

Afterwards he asked me what I thought he needed to work on and I was taken a little aback.  I don't know if I'm qualified to answer that question.  I don't feel like I have a good idea of what I need to work on.  I get where he's coming from and I've asked this question to others before and could sense they were hesitant to answer the question.  I don't think rolling once is enough to get an idea of his game, but I told him to start working on his top game.  Passing and maintaining top positions.

Before our visitors left they mentioned that they had been reading my blog.  Always happy to meet with my fans.  But, seriously it cool to know that there are more people reading than the ones that I see at class.  As we were leaving we noticed that the vapor shop next door had been broken into and the police were there.  I guess the thieves had no fear of breaking into a store next to a Jiu-Jitsu school while class was in session.  Unfortunately we didn't hear anything.



No comments:

Post a Comment