Sunday, March 23, 2014

March 22nd 2014 - Kids & Open Mat

Kids' Class

My boys had a good time as usual in kids class this morning.  There were only four kids in attendance which is a lot less than usual.  My youngest is always hurting himself at home and there were a couple of times during class I had to add more tape to a little scrape on his thumb. 

They played sumo for their first game and although they had fun, I wish I was able to help them get better.  I've tried going over some moves that they could try like push pull type things but it seems for now they just want to try to push.  Eventually through training they'll pick it up on their own and I don't want to be too critical of them and make it all about winning while they're having fun.  Since there was so few of us Greg had the adults go with the kids too and I ended up battling both of mine at the same time in 2 on 1 sumo.  They really enjoyed that.  We then worked on the scissor sweep and finished the day with some blob tag.

Open Mat

I was feeling a little blah again today; everyday can't be great.  I got quite a few good rolls in regardless.  I feel like I spent a lot of time in quarter guard off to the side with an underhook.  I can usually make a scramble out of the position but it's not anywhere I can attack from.  My main goal was to just go with the flow today and always be moving.  It worked to some extent

Fuji: I felt like I did a little better defending from the bottom than usual.  I did my best to try to fight off his brabo grip before it's established but I've still got a long way to go.  There was one point in our roll when he attempted the quarter guard back take but without securing my leg before he rolled, which worked out well for me to fight his turtle.

Jerad: It's always a highly technical roll with him and he's been capitalizing on my mistakes.  The thing that he gets me with the most is the leg drag pass which I've been trying to add to my game.

Mike: We also have very technical rolls and end up in some pretty crazy positions often.  There was one point when he was close to locking up a triangle and I was able to tuck his shin between my legs to prevent the submission.  I tried to use it like an over/under pass but without my arm under his leg it didn't work. 

Wes: He and I had a very long match.  Some of it was a little repetitive.  He's be passing my guard, I'd trap him in quarter guard and get an underhook I'd regain guard and start all over.  He was able to pass a couple times and I tried to keep my cool and just keep moving.  It was tough because I spent most of the match on the bottom in half guard.  After several sweep attempts I finally hit one and after that I was going to do my damnedest to keep the top position.


 Henry: He's been a hard nut to crack lately.  I did some good things in our roll but predominately felt behind the game.  I was able to pass his guard and had him in side control momentarily, he turned away and I went to take his back from turtle.  He ended up shrugging me off and it went down hill from there.  I've got to figure out how to deal with that.

Austin and Tim: Had a couple of short rolls with both of them.  Focused on my 2 on 1 techniques but didn't get as much practice as I would have liked. 

At some point during the session I heard Ray and Fuji talk about my blog a little bit.  Good things I think, but I'm unsure of the specifics.  Recently I have thought about discontinuing this blog.  I kind of feel like it's become a little repetitive and maybe served it's purpose.  I've been trying to get away from posting submissions that I've completed and focus more on things in a general way to avoid hurting anyone's feelings.  Then I think that I've written a post for every class that I've attended in 3 years of Jiu-Jitsu and now is not the time to stop.  If my view statistics are accurate, I'm getting more and more people reading it with every post.  So I ask if anyone is willing to respond and help keep me motivated.  You can either comment on the blog, on Facebook, or send me an email HapkidoJosh@yahoo.com.

What do you like about this blog?

What do you dislike about this blog?

Are there any topics that you'd like to hear more about?

Are there any topics that you'd like to hear less about?

Do you feel like I treat my fellow Jiu-Jitsu brothers and sisters with enough respect when writing about them? 

2 comments:

  1. I like reading about what you worked on in class, and what you learned in general, but I don't like a lot of focus on technique details, because that is sometimes boring to read (especially if I don't understand!).

    I think you do treat people with respect, and are honest about yourself and others. I also think you should keep blogging (if you want to!), I like having a chronicle of each class you've attended, and I want you to know that I read every post. :)



    ReplyDelete
  2. When you say technique details do you mean like how to do a technique like the steps to do an armbar or do you mean the play by play for rolling? I'm trying to get away from describing rolls with so much detail. I know I've done it in the past and rereading some of those posts isn't all that beneficial to me.

    I know we don't see each other very often in class but if I'm writing stuff that you don't understand either cause I can't describe it well enough or because it just doesn't make sense, I'd be happy to discuss it further or work with you on the mats. ;)

    ReplyDelete