Saturday, March 22, 2014

March 21st 2014 - Gi

Theme & Techniques: O-Soto Gari, Half Guard Tripod Pass, Granby Roll from Turtle

Pretty small class this morning with myself, Mo (who seemed very tired), Brian (of the Sweeney Todd variety), and Shawn.  Shawn trained at Roseberry's before my time and until this past week hasn't been training with us, but I'd see him every now and again at tournaments or events.  It's very cool to see people return to Jiu-Jitsu after a break.  I feel for them too because I'm sure it's difficult to kick the rust off and get back to the level you were at.

I ended up working with Shawn on the technique portion and we got quite a few reps in.  His technique and pressure felt pretty good.  I was still having a little trouble with holding the overhook and doing the knee slide on the half guard pass, letting go to post makes it so much easier.  Greg observed that since he started making a theme per week he has to teach a lot at the beginning of the week but by the end he's pretty hands off just correcting minor details.  I think the change has been great.

Rolling: Half Guard Position (4 x 2 min), Turtle Position (4 x 2 min), Free Rolling

Felt really good about my performance this morning.  I didn't have much luck with the half guard pass.  I did try the double unders to complete the pass, which worked a little.  As I've said before my most successful pass is the hip switch, however it seemed like everyone was working knee shield today.  With turtle I used a lot of movement and went for the cross gi grab around the waist and then attempted to take the back.  From the bottom I did more pulling guard than the granby roll. 

During free rolling I mostly played open guard.  It lead into single leg x a few times which also led into full x-guard.  I'm a little unsure about the best way to go about generating the proper leverage to complete the sweep from single leg x, I'll have to ask about that tomorrow.  No cross guard or omoplatas today, which was weird.  I also hit a rare sickle sweep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment