Friday, March 28, 2014

March 28th 2014 - Gi

Theme & Techniques: Scarf Hold Escape, Roll Over from Turtle to Side or Back Mount

In attendance this morning were Air Force Brian, Darijo, and Cesar drove in from GI.  Being the closest in weight I worked with Cesar. While working on the lap belt turnover from turtle I showed Greg that I had been grabbing the near side lapel and then jumping to the other side when I couldn't reach the normal way.  When we worked on taking the back I had some trouble with Cesar being able to return to turtle as I attempted to slide my knee in.  Eventually I figured out I could go straight for my hook because of the way he was getting up was leaving a lot of space.

Rolling: Scarf Hold Position (2 x 2 min)  Turtle position (8 x 2 min), Free Rolling

I had some trouble getting out of Cesar's scarf hold at first.  By the end I figured out some ways to move out of it, but it is definitely not a position I like to be stuck in.  I also decided that I don't like to be on top of the scarf hold.  Sure, I can make it uncomfortable for the other guy, but once the position is lost I'm almost assured a bad spot.

Had some great training from the turtle.  My main objective from bottom was the granby roll.  It got me into trouble a few times but worked out a few times as well.  Kudos to Brian who caught me with a bow and arrow choke while trying to prevent his back mount.  I had to step up my game a bit to prevent that from happening again.

I also had some awesome scrambles with Greg.  One of them starting with me on bottom, I went to roll and he countered with double unders, I then was able to stiff arm his sleeve and almost get to butterfly, then he leg dragged and I shrimped.  Then another time when I started from the top I headed off his granby roll and was able to do a leg drag of my own, to which he stiff armed my elbow and I wasn't able to gain any traction as he recovered guard.  Later on I told him that I think I would have done better if I hadn't been celebrating in my head every time I did something good against him.  Maybe celebrating isn't the right word, but I remember thinking things like "Wow, I can't believe that worked!"

I rolled with Cesar after class and he seemed immovable at first.  I tried to work butterfly but was unable to get the leverage or the underhook I needed.  I also worked the deep collar grip but couldn't get under his chin or collar grab him.  Eventually I got him to move enough to get underneath him in x-guard.  From there technical stand-up is my best friend.  Once on top I moved to knee on belly and work for the for the baseball bat choke from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment