Sunday, March 30, 2014

March 29th 2014 - Gi All School Training and Rank Promotion

We had a special class this morning with everyone of all ages invited to come train.  Naturally I brought my boys.  We had a packed house with quite a few adults and kids.  They split the room to separate us from the kids with good reason.  After some shrimps and other exercises and calisthenics we worked a few techniques each taught by a different instructor.  I worked with Tim for this portion of class. 

Jerad taught arm triangle from back mount first, something that he's got on me a couple times. Although it probably didn't seem like it to him, Tim did pretty well for his first time with this technique.  I know it took me a long time to figure out where to put my head and arms and how to apply pressure to get this technique right. Conan taught an arm bar variation from butterfly guard.  This is something that I did often in Hapkido from standing so I didn't have any problems doing or teaching it as it does take some finesse.  Greg taught standing guard break knee slide pass.  This is something we do quite often so I just worked on doing it smooth without much thought. Adam taught double leg takedown which we didn't have room for but managed by taking turns in large groups.  We finished the class with Up/Down/Out from closed guard.  

I looked over at the kids a couple times and saw that they did a lot of the regular class stuff all of the games as well as a new game.  Looked kind of like sumo + flag football as they tried to pull the flag off of their opponent.

Greg gave out stripes for all of the kids with my boys getting 4 since they had been there since the beginning of the kids program.  I could see true joy as Jayden and Jace both smiled ear to ear after Greg put all that tape on. 

Henry, Robert, and Jordan received their blue belts.  All three of them are well deserved.  I received my first stripe on my blue belt.  My lovely wife, Jennifer, asked me several questions that I don't know the answer to like when I would be testing next.  I doubt I'll be testing for purple any time soon and I'm perfectly fine with that. 



1 comment: