Wednesday, August 13, 2014

August 12th 2014 - Gi

Theme & Techniques: Standing Guillotine Defense, Half Guard: Escape to Back Mount, Recover GuardPartner:  Brian (Fireguy)

Took the day off from work to see the kids off on the first day of school for the kids.  Had some good training with Brian, he's a good training partner (I can't actually think of any of my training partners that are poor).  The only thing I really had trouble with was switching legs during the guard recovery.  It's pretty bad to leave their leg unhooked at any time, you get your half guard passed that way. 

Rolling: Half Guard Position (2 x 2 min rnds), Free Rolling
Rolled With: Brian, Ben, Bhuvana, Tim, Harvey

Brian swept me in our first encounter, great job.  I was attempting a knee slide pass and trying to get my foot free and I must have had my weight on him too much because I ended up on the bottom in guard.  I feel a lot more confident from the bottom of half guard than the top for some reason.  From the top, I think I need to work more on my pressure passing.  

I rolled with Bhuvana a few times.  At one point she attempted to tap out from just being in side control, I wouldn't allow it.  I had her at least go through the escape.  I played some kesa getamai against Harvey and we went over how to escape it afterwards.

During stretching, it was made mention that Tim is good at defending chokes and he referenced fending off my RNC several times.  To which I replied "Challenge accepted."  I did a wrist lock to Tim playfully after class and he was pretty surprised by it.  Eventually I took his back and no matter how hard I tried I could not setup the RNC.  I eventually gave up because I had to get home and switched to an arm triangle.  There's always next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment