Tuesday, August 26, 2014

August 26th 2014 - Gi

Theme & Techniques: Scarf Hold Escape, Roll Over from Turtle to Side or Back Mount
Partnered With: Anthony (New), Bhuvana

Great class today.  I ended up taking on more of a teaching roll during this portion of class.  The scarf hold escape has quite a few steps in it.  The hardest part for both Bhuvana and Anthony was the armbar at the end.  Putting the foot and shin in the right place and taking up the space as they sat proved difficult.  The roll over to side control and back take, feels pretty natural now.  The only thing I had to stress for my partners was to lock the elbow on the hip before attempting to roll them over.

Rolling: Turtle position Up/Down/Out, Free Rolling Post Class
Rolled with: Ben, Moe, Bhuvana, Brian (FF), Anthony, Greg, Tim, Harvey

Felt pretty on my game today.  I kept everyone from taking my back except Greg.  I mostly went for backs as well using the technique from today.  What works best for me is to get my lapel grip on the near side and then jump to the other.  I saw Moe do some great things against bigger guys.  He was doing a great job of attacking the back and not getting rolled over.  Hang in their Moe!

I rolled with Bhuvana a little after class and I showed her knee on belly and 2 on 1 only because she asked.  

Tim mentioned that I was pretty much running through him.  I said I was getting him back for nominating me for the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.  Here is me and Jace doing it.  We talked a bit about feeling on some days and off others.  It can be difficult to gauge progress when there are so many variables.  I can tell that he's getting better, I remember when he first started and not having any problems passing his guard or worrying about him passing mine.  That's changed, I have to work harder and not be as lazy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment